This page is about the diaspora in countries and regions other than the U.S. On Vietnamese Americans, see the main page for separate categories.
- Le, Long S. “Introduction: The Formation of the Global Vietnamese Diaspora.” In The Age of Asian Migration: Continuity, Diversity, and Susceptibility, Volume 1, edited by Yuk Wah Chan, David Haines and Jonathan H. X. Lee. New Castle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2004. 170-179.
- Le, Long S. “One Family, Multiple Diasporas: Exploring Unity and Diversity in Vietnamese Migration.” In The Age of Asian Migration: Continuity, Diversity, and Susceptibility, Volume 1, edited by Yuk Wah Chan, David Haines and Jonathan H. X. Lee. New Castle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2004. 180-188.
ASIA – GENERAL
- Fung, Heidi and Tsai-Ping Wang. “Vietnamese Marriage Migrants and the Changing Public Discourse in Taiwan.” In The Age of Asian Migration: Continuity, Diversity, and Susceptibility, Volume 1, edited by Yuk Wah Chan, David Haines and Jonathan H. X. Lee. New Castle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2004. 211-242.
ASIA – BY COUNTRIES
- Ninh, Thien-Huong T. “‘God Needs a Passport’: Vietnamese Caodaists in Cambodia Struggle for Religious and Ethnic Recognition across National Borders.” Encounters: An International Journal for the Study of Culture and Society 4 (Fall 2011): 133-160.
- Chau, Natalie Huynh. Voyage of Hope: Vietnamese Australian Women’s Narratives. Victoria: Common Ground. 2005
- Thomas, Mandy. Dreams in the Shadows: Vietnamese-Australian Lives in Transition. London: Allen & Unwin. 1999.
- Beiser, Morton. Strangers at the Gate: The “Boat People’s” First Ten Years in Canada. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1999. Possibly the first major comprehensive study of Southeast Asian refugees in Canada, its research was conducted over ten years and included survey of nearly 1350 refugees in metro Vancouver.
- Dorais, Louis-Jacques, “Faith, Hope and Identity: Religion and the Vietnamese Refugees.” Refugee Survey Quarterly, 26:2, 2008: 57-68.
- Dorais, Louis-Jacques, “Vietnamese Communities in Canada, France and Denmark.” Journal of Refugee Studies 11:2 (1997): 107-125. This article is downloadable for free from the publisher.
- Valtonen, Kathleen. “The Societal Participation of Vietnamese Refugees: Case Studies in Finland and Canada.” Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 25:3 (1999): 469-491.
EUROPE – GENERAL
- Hardy, Andrew. “From a Floating World: Emigration to Europe from Post-War Vietnam.” Asian and Pacific Migration Journal 11:4 (2002): 463-484.
- Schwenkel, Christina. “Socialist Mobilities: Crossing New Terrains in Vietnamese Migration Histories“. Central and Eastern European Migration Review 4:1 (June 2015).
- Szymańska-Matusiewicz, Grażyna. “Vietnamese from Eastern Europe as a Transnational Migrant Community.” In The Age of Asian Migration: Continuity, Diversity, and Susceptibility, Volume 1, edited by Yuk Wah Chan, David Haines and Jonathan H. X. Lee. New Castle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2004. 189-210.
EUROPE – BY COUNTRIES
- Apostolova, Raia. “From Real Socialism to Real Capitalism: The Making and Dismantling of Vietnamese Worker in Bulgaria.” In Raia Apostolova, Neda Deneva and Tsvetelina Hristova, eds., Situating Migration in Transition: Temporal, Structural and Conceptual Transformations of Migrations, Sketches from Bulgaria. Sofia: Collective for Social Interventions, 2014.
CZECHOSLOVAKIA / CZECH REPUBLIC / SLOVAKIA
- Alamgir, Alena K. “Race Is Elsewhere: State-Socialist Ideology and the Racialisation of Vietnamese Workers in Czechoslovakia.” Race & Class, 54, 4 (2013).
- Alamgir, Alena. “Recalcitrant Women: Internationalism and the Redefinition of Welfare Limits in the Czechoslovak-Vietnamese Labor Exchange Program, 1967-1989,” Slavic Review 73:1 (2014): 133–155.
- Alamgir, Alena. “Socialist Internationalism At Work: Changes in the Czechoslovak-Vietnamese Labor Exchange Program, 1967-1989.” (Diss., Rutgers University, 2014). See my review on Dissertation Reviews.
- Baláž, Vladimír and Allan M. Williams. “Vietnamese Community in Slovakia.” Sociológia – Slovak Sociological Review, Issue 3 (2005), 249-274.
- Baláž, Vladimír and Allan M. Williams. “Path-Dependency and Path-Creation Perspectives on Migration Trajectories: The Economic Experiences of Vietnamese Migrants in Slovakia.” International Migration 45, 2 (2007), 37-67.
- Drbohlav, Dušan and Dagmar Dzúrová. “‘Where Are They Going?’: Immigrant Inclusion in the Czech Republic, A Case Study on Ukrainians, Vietnamese, and Armenians in Prague.” International migration 45, 2 (2007): 69-95.
- Hlinčíková, Miroslava. “The Social Integration of Vietnamese Migrants in Bratislava: (In)Visible Actors in Their Local Community“. Central and Eastern European Migration Review 4:1 (June 2015).
Hüwelmeier, Gertrud. “Mobile Entrepreneurs: Transnational Vietnamese in the Czech Republic,” in Rethinking Ethnography in Central Europe, eds., Hana Cervinkova, Michał Buchowski, and Zdeněk Uherek. Palgrave Macmillan, 2015. 59-73.
- Nožina, Miroslav. “Crime Networks in Vietnamese Diasporas: The Czech Republic Case.” Crime, Law and Social Change 53:3 (2010): 229-258.
- Williams, Allan M. and Vladimir Baláž. “Winning, then Losing, the Battle with Globalization: Vietnamese Petty Traders in Slovakia.” International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 29, 3 (2005): 533-549.
- Bui, Pipo. Envisioning Vietnamese Migrants in Germany: Ethnic Stigma, Immigrant Origin Narratives and Partial Masking. Lit Verlag, 2004.
- Dennis, Mike. “Working under Hammer and Sickle: Vietnamese Workers in the German Democratic Republic, 1980–89. German Politics 16: 3 (2007).
- Hüwelmeier, Gertrud. “Socialist Cosmopolitanism Meets global Pentecostalism: Charismatic Christianity among Vietnamese Migrants after the Fall of the Berlin Wall.” Ethnic and Racial Studies 34, 3 (2011), 436-453.
- Hüwelmeier, Gertrud. “Performing Intimacy with God: Spiritual Experiences in Vietnamese Diasporic Pentecostal Networks.” German History 32, 3 (2014).
- Schwenkel, Christina. “Rethinking Asian Mobilities: Socialist Migration and Post-Socialist Repatriation of Vietnamese Contract Workers in East Germany.” Critical Asian Studies 46:2 (2014): 235-258.
- Iglicka, Krystyna. “Labour Migration into Poland: The case of the Vietnamese community.” In Ernst Spaan, Felicitas Hillmann, and Ton van Naerssen, eds, Asian Migrants and European Labour Markets : Patterns and Processes of Immigrant Labour Market Insertion in Europe. London: Taylor & Francis, 2005.
- Nguyen, Huu Tuan. “The Integration Process of Vietnamese Diaspora in Poland.” Master’s thesis, Malmö University, 2011.
- Nowicka, Ewa. “Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea: Acculturation of Young Vietnamese Women in Poland“. Central and Eastern European Migration Review (June 2015).
- Szymańska-Matusiewicz, Grażyna. “The Two Tết Festivals: Transnational Connections and Internal Diversity of the Vietnamese Community in Poland.” Central and Eastern European Migration Review (June 2015).
RUSSIA / USSR
- Bagwell, Susan. “Transnational Family Networks and Ethnic Minority Business Development: The Case of Vietnamese Nail-Shops in the UK.’’ International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior and Research 14:6 (November 2007).