Click here for a complete CV in PDF.
Humanities and Teacher Education Division
24255 Pacific Coast Highway
Malibu, CA 92804-3252
- Ph.D., History, University of Notre Dame, 2013
- Dissertation: “Ideology in Urban South Vietnam, 1950-1975”
- M.A., History, University of Notre Dame, 2005
- Graduate courses, Department of History, Catholic University of America, Fall 2001
- B.A., Philosophy, summa cum laude, Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota, 1991
- Blanche E. Seaver Professor of Humanities and Teacher Education, 2022-present
- Associate Professor of Great Books, 2020-present
- Assistant Professor of Great Books, 2015-2020
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Great Books, 2013-2015
Click on this link.
PRESENTATIONS & CONFERENCES
Click on this link.
- Asian American History (undergrad & graduate courses)
- First-Year Seminar: Asian Immigrants in America
- Great Books I, II, III, IV, and V
- History of the American Peoples
- Vietnam Conflict (directed study)
- Western Culture I
SERVICE TO PEPPERDINE
- SEED facilitator, Seaver College, 2019-2022.
- GE Review Committee, 2019-2022.
- Seaver Diversity Council, 2018-2020.
- University Diversity Council, 2018-2019.
- Global Tides (undergraduate journal), HUTE faculty advisor, 2017-present.
- Pre-tenure mentor, Seaver first-year tenure-track, 2017-2018.
- The Interlocutor (HUTE newsletter), Editor, 2016-2020.
- Assessment coordinators, HUTE representative, 2017-2018.
- University Athletic Committee, 2016-2017.
- Seaver Assessment of Learning Team (SALT), 2016-2017.
- GE Learning Innovators (GELI), 2015-2017.
SERVICE TO THE PROFESSION & COMMUNITY
- Coordinator, Global Vietnamese Catholicism Project, Initiative for the Study of Asian Catholics (ISAC), National University of Singapore, 2022-present.
- Research Team, American Refugee Experience Model Curriculum, Orange County Department of Education & Santa Clara County Office of Education, 2022–present.
- East Asian Advisory Board, Religion & Public Life Project, Pew Research Center, 2022-present.
- Associate Editor, Global Vietnam series, Springer, 2022-present.
- Editorial Board, Rising Asia Journal, 2021-present.
- Chair, Vietnam Studies Group, Association for Asian Studies, 2021-present.
- Board of Directors, Association for Core Texts and Courses, 2020-present.
- Annual Proceedings Editor, Association for Core Texts and Courses, 2019-present.
- Treasurer, Vietnam Studies Group, Association for Asian Studies, 2018-2021.
- Reviewer, Cornell University Press; Gender, Place and Culture; Journal of Vietnamese Studies; Journal of Women’s History; Journal of the History of Childhood and Youth; Monash Asia Institute Press; SOJOURN: Journal of Social Issues in Southeast Asia; Springer; and Tạp chí phát triển khoa học và công nghệ.
- Grant reviewer, American Catholic Historical Association; and U.S. Department of Education.
- “Giới thiệu bộ sách của tác giả Nguyễn Mạnh Hùng và nhóm tác giả Vũ Tường & Sean Fear” [Introducing new collections edited by Nguyen Manh Hung and Tuong Vu & Sean Fear], Little Saigon TV (LSTV), May 14, 2022.
- “Why Vietnamese Love to Put Baby Jesus in a Cave at Christmas,” Vietcetera (international edition), December 22, 2021.
- “Changing Stripes,” (podcast), 99% Invisible, October 12, 2021.
- “Looking to Past Military Withdrawal on the Future of Afghanistan,” KQED (NPR), August 31, 2021.
- “U.S. Evacuation in Afghanistan Evoke Memories of Saigon’s Fall,” National Public Radio, August 20, 2021.
- “The Latest TikTok Trend Is… Vietnamese Music about the Countryside?”, Pitchfork, August 5, 2021.
- “Lá cờ VNCH & Cuộc bạo động tại tòa nhà quốc hội Hoa Kỳ” [The flag of the Republic of Vietnam and the riot at the United States Capitol], roundtable, SBTN-TV, January 31, 2021.
- “Về chuyện cờ VNCH ở biểu tình tràn vào Điện Capitol” [On the flag of the Republic of Vietnam at the demonstration spilled into the US Capitol], BBC Vietnamese, January 13, 2021.
- “Annual Vietnamese Tet Festival Features New Fashion Show,” WGBH Boston Public Radio, broadcast on January 24, 2019.
- Interim Community Coordinator, L’Arche Wavecrest Community, Orange, CA, 2012-2013
- Caterer, Food and Nutrition Department, Northwest Hospital, Seattle, WA, 1999-2001
- Live-in assistant & house leader, L’Arche Noah Sealth Community, Seattle, WA, 1991-1999