- “From Reeducation Camps to Little Saigons: Historicizing Vietnamese Diasporic Anticommunism,” Journal of Vietnamese Studies 11:2 (May 2016): 43-95.
- “The Vietnamese Side of the ‘American’ War,” in Matthew Masur, John Day Tully, and Brad Austin, eds., Understanding and Teaching the Vietnam War: Essays and Resources (University of Wisconsin Press, 2013), 223-244.
- “The Early South Vietnamese Critique of Communism,” in Tuong Vu and Wasana Wongsurawat, eds., Dynamics of the Cold War in Asia: Ideology, Identity, and Culture (Palgrave Macmillan, 2009), 17-32.
- Bridging Divides, Crossing Borders, Community Building: The Human Voice in Core Texts and the Liberal Arts (Selected Papers of the Twenty-Third Annual Conference of the Association of Core Texts and Courses), editor (with Daniel Nuckols), forthcoming.
- Tradition and Renewal: Continuity and Change in Core Text and Liberal Arts Programs (Selected Papers from the Twenty-Second Annual Conference of the Association of Core Texts and Courses), editor, forthcoming.
- “Vuong Hong Sen,” Southeast Asian Personalities of Chinese Descent: A Biographical Dictionary, Center for Chinese Studies, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 2012
- “Ngo Dinh Diem” and “Vo Nguyen Giap,” in The Encyclopedia of the Nineteen Sixties: A Decade of Culture and Counterculture, ABC-CLIO, 2012
- “South Vietnam,” The World History Encyclopedia, ABC-CLIO, 2011
- Review of Alena K. Alamgir, “Socialist Internationalism At Work: Changes in the Czechoslovak-Vietnamese Labor Exchange Program, 1967-1989,” Dissertation Reviews, January 2016.
- Review of KW Taylor, A History of the Vietnamese and George E. Dutton, Jayne S. Werner, and John K. Whitmore, eds., Sources of Vietnamese Tradition, diaCRITICS, December 2015.
- Review essay for roundtable on Christina Schwenkel, The American War in Contemporary Vietnam: Transnational Remembrance and Representation, H-Diplo, February 2011.
- Review of Edwin A. Martini, Invisible Enemies: The American War on Vietnam, 1975-2000, Journal of Vietnamese Studies, January/February 2011.
- Review of Melvin Small, At the Water’s Edge: American Politics and the Vietnam War, H-Diplo, May 2007.
- Review of Dianne Kirby, ed., Religion and the Cold War, Cold War History, November 2006
Publications in Vietnamese at non-academic venues
- “Tác Phẩm Kinh Điển” [Great Books], Việt Tide, September 2016 to July 2017. Việt Tide is a Vietnamese-language weekly published in Westminster, California, and distributed all over the U.S. I contributed a monthly column, each month on one of the books taught in my Great Books III and IV classes during 2016-2017.
- “Từ Thế Kỷ Di Dân tới Nước Mỹ Ngày Nay” [From the “Century of Immigration” to America Today], Việt Báo Tết Bính Thân [Viet Bao: Year of the Monkey], January 2016: 135-138. This is the annual lunar new year’s publication of Việt Báo, an ethnic newspaper in Westminster, California.
- “Nguyễn Hiến Lê và không khí của văn hóa VNCH” [The Writer Nguyen Hien Le and the Cultural Milieu of the Republic of Vietnam], BBC Vietnamese (January 18, 2012).
- “Nhạc trẻ Sài Gòn và văn hóa thành thị Việt Nam” [Youth Music in Saigon and Vietnamese Urban Culture], BBC Vietnamese (May 5, 2009).