I’d written a post about Năm Xưa Trên Cây Sồi [Years Ago on an Oak Tree], which has been, in my opinion, the most popular devotional Marian hymn in Vietnamese. This post is about a different hymn that happens to be about Our Lady of Fatima as well. Continue reading “Marian reparation in a Vietnamese hymn”
The Vietnamese Catholic ethnic press reported widely on this congress but there is hardly anything in English. I am appreciative of Fr. Linh Hoang, OFM (Siena College), who attended the event and filed the write-up below along with the photos.
Last year I submitted an article on Vietnamese Marianism to a journal based in Asia, and the submission received split decisions from the anonymous reviewers. The comments, especially from the reviewer who found it problematic, were quite good. I am not an intellectual sadist or a glutton for punishment. But I’ll admit to feeling certain gladness when receiving a more critical or negative feedback from anonymous reviewers, including this one.
- “Ultramontanism, Nationalism, and the Fall of Saigon: Historicizing the Vietnamese American Catholic Experience,” American Catholic Studies (Spring 2019): 1-36.
- “The Resettlement of Vietnamese Refugee Religious, Priests, and Seminarians in the United States, 1975–1977,” U.S. Catholic Historian 37.3 (Summer 2019): 99-122.
In order of discussion:
- Balázs Szalontai, “The ‘Sole Legal Government of Vietnam’: The Bao Dai Factor and Soviet Attitudes toward Vietnam, 1947–1950,” Journal of Cold War Studies 20:3 (2018): 3–56.
- Phi-Vân Nguyen, “A Secular State for a Religious Nation: The Republic of Vietnam and Religious Nationalism, 1946–1963,” Journal of Asian Studies 77:3 (2018): 741–771.
- Olga Dror, “Education and Politics in Wartime: School Systems in North and South Vietnam, 1965–1975,” Journal of Cold War Studies 20: 3 (2018): 57–113.
- John C. Schafer, “Ngô Kha, Vietnam’s Civil Wars, and the Need for Forgiveness.” Journal of Vietnamese Studies 13:1 (2018): 1–41.
- Duy Lap Nguyen, “Sovereignty, Surveillance, and Spectacle in South Vietnamese Spy Fiction,” positions: east asia cultures critique 26:1 (2018): 111–150.